How can it be only be 2 weeks until the big move already? Time sure does fly by when you’re having fun and like move moves we hope you’re in fact having some fun and have been staying organized and on top of things.
- Transfer all prescriptions to a drugstore in your new city. Clear all your safety deposits boxes.
- Disconnect and disassemble your computer system before your move. Back up all your computer files on a disk. Consider taking all back up files and disks with you in the car or whatever mode of transportation you will be using to get to your new home. Remember, exposure to extreme temperatures can damage your software.
- Make final packing decisions. Clean and clear your home including closets, basement and attic.
- Dispose of items that represent a hazard and are not allowed to be shipped. Please refer to the “items not to pack” section for more information on what you cannot or should not ship.
- Tape and seal all cleaning fluids that are non-toxic and non-flammable in plastic bags.
- Drain your lawn mower, snow blower and power tools of all the oil and gasoline to ensure safe transportation.
- Schedule appliance disconnection and preparation with a service provider.
- If you need to use outside storage call your van line agent about storage options available.
- Have your automobile serviced if you plan to travel by car.
- Cancel newspapers and other regular deliveries
- Clean out gym and school lockers
The above list can be done more than 2 weeks before your move but usually you’ll want to initiate each item 2 weeks prior to make your move go as smoothly as possible.
Did we miss anything in our article? Feel free to provide your tips, tricks, and suggestions in the comments below.